To Be Alive


What are the times in your life when you truly felt alive?

Do you remember the movies we watched as children, where everything was possible? Witches were real, and unicorns and princesses too. It was all real. And the romantic comedies we watched as teenagers and dreamed to explore all the crazy things like the characters on the screen. It was exciting! And I couldn’t wait to finally grow up and to experience all those adventures myself.

But in between of our busy schedules and lack of personal reflection, we somehow forgot what was that 'something' that made us sparkle in energy and motivation. What was that kept us thriving to the things that we hoped to experience? That inner source of power, that made our faces glow.

Have you ever heard the sentence "adults are borning". Yes, that what I used to say too as a kid, until things got real for me as well, and I suppose, I become one myself. It’s not that we are different people as we grow up to be adults. It’s just something that we forget, the inner child within us. And with that, a part of us falls asleep. And sometimes we take life decisions that make sense to our adult-self, and sometimes the ones that don’t feel right.

But, to realize that there is so much more. So much that you have known before, that you have dreamed of for your life and future, but in some point, forgot. Gave up in a way. It’s not that we have lost this belief completely. But we’re just asleep. Passing by day to day. Not contributing any real value to ourselves. Not having a real belief to our dreams and to ourselves, and not giving hope for the thing that once was our source of power, the source of energy, the source of motivation.

And sometimes, we just need to stop. And say woah, and realize all what we’ve ready accomplished. How far we’ve come. 

It’s easy sometimes to forget to put ourselves first. But only by investing in yourself, you have something to give to the others and to the world. It’s our most important job to take care of ourselves first. We need to learn how to ‘walk’ again. To do the thing that excites us. The things that make us wake up in the morning with joy and excitement. To heal our soul with authentic, true laughter that shakes through our core till the skin cells. To find the source within, to truly feel alive.

I think, to come to understand how to live life to the fullest, we would need to take a look and ask this first - what are the times in your life when you truly felt alive?

As I thought about this question, many things came to my mind. Few of them I wrote down here:

 Having deep, meaningful, raw and honest conversations
 The time I stayed up until the sunrise.
 The time I made friends with a total stranger on a plane.
 The time I went to an amusement park with my best girl-friends.
 The time I climbed up a cliff in an oasis in Oman and was so scared to jump to the water, but did it anyway.
 The time I made best friends with someone in a completely different culture.
The time that I had my first kiss with my now fiancé and all the emotions of love consumed me until I was completely high.
 The time we camped on the beach and all the mountain behind our tent sparkled in fireflies in the dark.
 The time I traveled alone.


I suppose what I want to say is, our inner child is alive - waiting for us to remember. Waiting for us to wake up. To laugh more, and smile more and go on adventures. To be excited, to believe. And to fall in love with the music and smells and life and friends and all that surrounds us. Everything is possible.


To end this inner discussion I had in my head and now am sharing with you in this blog post, I’d like to finish with one of my favorite quotes. With all the love, M.

Don’t allow your life to just be fine. Or okay. Or even good. Make it brilliant, spectacular, wild, extraordinary. Fill with excitement and adventure, be passionate and fearless, search for freedom and opportunity. You only get one life, so make it count. Make it mean something. Make it yours.








0 comments