Our Engagement Story


Living together with him is the best. Honestly, we have so much fun together, I couldn’t imagine what else could make me happier than living with him. We just fit. 


As a kid, I remember that marriage didn’t make much sense to me. I sat in the car with my dad and I remember telling him: I don’t ever want to get married. ‘Why?’ he asked. ’There’s no meaning in this piece of paper.’

I came as an exchange student to Izmir. He studied in the same Uni and was the president of a student organization ISN there. So after we first briefly met, my first idea of him was ‘that guy on the stage from the introduction week’. That was all. Me and my Estonian roommate Ketly didn’t remember his name at first, so we just called him ‘the President’.

But when we started to talk, our conversations had no end.


He is the most liveliest, vibrant person I know. He also has the kindest heart. When in Barcelona eating in a restaurant watching through the window, we saw a homeless man sleeping in the bus station. He took some food and went outside to give it to him. ‘Maybe he was hungry. I can’t fix his problems, but maybe I can make this evening a little better for him’ he said. These moments just make my heart melt. 

I didn't know him yet. But I remember seeing him on that one event, speaking with people, and thinking okay. This is the type of personality that I would marry with. If anyone, this is it. I didn’t mean that he would be the actual person. I just saw him and thought that someone like him could be someone for me. So I even called my close friend Kiran to tell him that you know, I found the personality type of my future husband. :D 

But little did I know that exact same person would be my boyfriend later on.

We started to talk about marriage at some point. As my own surprise too, I was the one who actually opened that conversation. I said that I think we should get married. Soon. When we are young. We can still look good on photos! He was surprised at first. But talking more, it made sense to us. For the first time, it made sense to me, too.



We were traveling in Indonesia. I was sleeping in the car on our way from Canngu to Ubud. Or that’s what I thought. I woke up when the car stopped. We had arrived. All green. Rice fields, palm trees, papaya trees, all sorts of flowers. They served us fresh papaya juice and sat us down to this little house. I was quite confused since I expected to see more of a city-like place, I asked how many houses they have there. Made (our local host) said that 2. “But only one bamboo house. The bamboo house is only for you.”

“Did we book a bamboo house??” I asked Emrah. After all, we booked so many different accommodations, maybe I just didn’t remember? 

“I guess,” he said.

Made takes us to the house. We go down the stairs and further from the little house. Until we stand in front of it. A massive, breathtaking bamboo house. Made kindly walks us through the house. And I am just thinking whattt where are we? It is so beautiful! “We are not actually in Ubud. We are 1,5 hours away in a remote area. I brought you here as a surprise!” Emrah said.

Omg what really what?

I am not saying anything, just walking with him and Made to the second floor. The house is gorgeous. High ceilings, everything we see is made out of bamboo. The view is glorious. My heart jumps. 

After dropping our things, we go for a quick swim in an ice-cold pool and later take a hot shower. I stay at the shower for long. The bathroom has no roof, so you can see the sun and at night the starts above. 

Emrah said that Made will prepare us a dinner and it’s a nice place to take pictures too. I agree as I love picture taking. He went out to talk with Made. I am alone. I put on my red dress. I kind of suspect that something is up. So I don’t ask any questions. Putting make-up on, my hands shake. I am so nervous. Is this the moment? I can’t get my liner line right. Shit. I keep messing it up. My hands are shaking too much.

“Maybe the house was the surprise itself. Don’t think too much. We will have great pictures at the dinner” I think to myself.

Made comes with his daughters, bringing us food decorated with flowers, to our house. Served on the most beautiful, colorful plates. They bring a lot of lanterns which hold the candles. Magic.

Emrah is opening the wine in the kitchen and almost drops it. The girls giggle. He is nervous too. After placing the plates the girls leave. We eat 2 bites of rice and he tells me some stories, but we are too nervous so I can’t even remember what he said. 

I just ate something extra spicy. Ooh, it's burning! He stands up and finishes his glass of wine. Made is still with us. 

I can’t stop smiling. I’m laughing from joy. The first thing I saw was the box. ‘OMG what a beautiful box!’ I said! I am just laughing, is this real life? Yes! 

He slips the sparkly ring to my finger. It’s a perfect fit. How is it even possible? It is a perfect fit. And the ring is just perfect too. 

Light pink stone called tourmaline in the middle, surrounded with little diamonds, is decorating my hand. What a clever solution not to have a diamond ring, but have diamonds on it nevertheless. I think it’s the most beautiful ring I’ve ever seen.













0 comments